Carb vs Inj?

Bike related chat.

Carb vs Inj?

Postby mattpark19 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Fella's

I have a 5EB 2001....carbed obviously, not too bothered about upgrading but always on the look out! :wink:

What are the main differences between the carbed and injected models and what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Matt
mattpark19
R6ers Pro

Postby Slippery When Wet » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Matt, Don't experience of carbed R6, but do own a Thundercat and an injection R6.

Main 2 differences I found is (just from a riding point of view :wink: )
a) No carb icing problems on the R6 which I have riden right thru this crappy winter.
b) Smoother power delivery on the R6 in low gear and it is easier to control at crawling pace, thundercat can splutter a bit especially if not warmed up properly.

I'll let the guys offer some more technical comparisons 8)
Slippery When Wet
R6ers Pro

Postby Nat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:46 am

Carbed is easier to work on yourself - if injection goes wrong you're going to have to take it to someone. You can adjust your own fueling with carbs.

Injection (theoretically) always gives the right amount of fuel when it's needed so at low revs (if anyone other than me rides at low speed/revs!) it wont stutter - it's smoother.

My last bike had carb heaters so icing wasn't a problem - don't know if R6's have those.

Like SWW I'll let someone with more technical knowledge answer it better :lol:
Nat
R6ers Pro

Postby fastfox » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Matt.
Ive had both Carbed (5ed 01) and a injected 05 R6.
I now have a 5EB 02 track bike and a fuel injected R1.
First of all,Back in the day when all bikes were carbed, the carbed R6`s were known for being the best fueling of all carbed bikes. Period! End of! This is why yamaha were the last of the big four to change over to fuel injection. Nice to know, eh?
For me riding both bikes back to back, the fuel injected bikes obviously fuel much much cleaner. the throttle response is much crisper and snappier. Fuel injected bikes are quicker and smoother. But for me, all the good things about fuel injected bikes just serve to take away some the soul and character. I never gelled with my 05 bike the same way i did with my 99 bike.
In terms of working on them, for me it makes no difference. Fuel injection is more complicated than carbs, but carbs have more fiddly bits, so to be honest, short of some carb cleaner sprayed around a few holes, i would just take my bikes in if they had a fueling problem.

Enjoy your 5EB. For all the things that might make snobby foke turn thier noses up at it for being old and past it, its still a storming machine.

Fastfox
fastfox
Fallen R6er RIP

Postby fastfox » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 am

Nat wrote:Carbed is easier to work on yourself - if injection goes wrong you're going to have to take it to someone. You can adjust your own fueling with carbs.

Injection (theoretically) always gives the right amount of fuel when it's needed so at low revs (if anyone other than me rides at low speed/revs!) it wont stutter - it's smoother.

My last bike had carb heaters so icing wasn't a problem - don't know if R6's have those.

Like SWW I'll let someone with more technical knowledge answer it better :lol:

true up to a point but i`d would say to adjust your own fueling on any bike and get it accurate you need a gas analyzer.
fastfox
Fallen R6er RIP

Postby mattpark19 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Nice one lads, thanks! Like I say, I don't dislike the 2001 but just never rode a fuel injected model

Thanks
mattpark19
R6ers Pro

Return to Bike Chat